Monday, June 9, 2014

Running Through Life

Yesterday, I ran the Wounded Warrior Half Marathon in Las Colinas. I'd completed a full marathon before, but that was in 2009, so I knew I had some training to do. After registering for the Half, my workload tripled. Boot camps increased, there were extra hours at my full-time job, and I wasn't able to get in all of the training that I had planned. In fact, I could only get in my long runs on the weekend, wasn't able to run any during the week, and the longest run I got in during my training was an 8 miler. So, I was not expecting to do well at the Wounded Warrior. My goal at that point, was just to get across the finish line.
The morning of the run, as I was driving to the race site, I felt nervous anticipation creeping in. Rather than allowing my nerves to consume me, I prayed. I just talked to God the entire way and asked him to sustain me through the run, and thanked him for the ability to run. I went in fully expecting to walk at least part of the course because of my lack of training. So, I was surprised when I passed mile marker 8, was still feeling very strong, and had not even thought about walking once. I even laughed a little. I laughed and thanked Jesus for running with me, and knew that he was going to run with me all the way.
Then, shortly after I passed mile marker 10, the recurring stress fracture in my ankle started acting up. I could feel my ankle swelling, and the pain was bad enough to get an audible reaction out of me, but with only three more miles to go, I wasn't about to give in. I prayed for strength to endure the pain and just keep going. Fairly soon after that, I felt a tingling sensation at that spot in my ankle, and it felt as though I didn't have control over that foot anymore - as though the ankle and foot were disconnected. It was a pretty bizarre sensation, and for a moment I wondered if my ankle was going to support my weight through the rest of the run. But I was determined to either finish, or fall on my face trying. (I can be somewhat stubborn.) However, somewhere between the first onset of the pain and mile 11.5, after the bizarre tingling and disconnect, it started to subside. I was able to run without limping anymore, and felt strong enough to really kick it into gear and stride it in on the last stretch to the finish. It was challenging, there were some tough hills, a really strong wind, and quite a bit of rain, but by the grace of God, I finished - and with a better time than I
anticipated.
Oh, and the sudden alleviation of the ankle pain? After the fact, I learned that at 9:15 a.m., my dad asked his congregation to say a silent prayer for me. That would have been right around the time, that the pain started subsiding.
Before the run, I was anxious about running alone. I was nervous about even driving out there alone. God reminded me in many ways throughout the morning, that I was, and am, never alone.
Never doubt that God is with us through it all. He runs with us every day - when our bodies are starting to rebel, when our pain (emotional and physical) seems insurmountable, when the fear is overwhelming, when all we want to do is quit - he is there. He sustains us through it all, and carries us when we are too weak to hold ourselves up. On the other side of that, he rejoices with us in our celebrations. He cheers when we succeed where we never thought possible. Through all of our races - physical or metaphorical - he is our rock, our everlasting life coach, our infinite cheering section, our greatest supporter lifting us up, encouraging us, guiding us onto the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and thoughts are encouraging and welcome. Please, just be nice.